There were six teams in the Canberra League in 1966, Acton, Ainslie, ANU, Eastlake, Manuka and Queanbeyan-Turner.
Ainslie finished the home and away games in second position with 10 wins and 5 losses behind Eastlake with 13 wins.
Ainslie defeated Eastlake in the Second Semi-Final played at Ainslie Oval to go through to the Grand Final.
- Final score: Ainslie 15.14-104 def Eastlake 12.13-85
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: Neeson 5, Moore 2, Cooper 2, Ryan 2, Searle 2, Drake 1, Rendell 1
- Best: Neeson, Searle, Read, Moore, Edwards, Irvine, Laffan, Drake
Eastlake defeated Manuka in the Preliminary Final to set up a rematch with Ainslie. Ainslie couldn’t stop Eastlake from winning their fifth straight Premiership which was a record at the time.
- Final score: Ainslie 8.17-65 def by Eastlake 13.16-94
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: W Drake 2, A Black 2, P Searle 1, N Neeson 1, R Edwards 1, R Moore 1
- Best: W Drake, N Neeson, P Martin, W Blomfield, R Edwards, B Read, R Rendell, P Searle
The Grand Final team was:
- Backs: A Black, R Moore, R Cooper
- Half Backs: Peter Searle, Norm Neeson, Bernie Ryan
- Centres: Ralph Rendell, W Blomfield, Brian Read
- Half Forwards: P Martin, Alan Bloomfield, G Gardiner
- Forwards: Kevin Hassett, Laurie Laffan, J Stankevicious
- Rucks: A Irvine, R Edwards, William Drake
Ainslie won the L J Hooker Shield for the Best Performed Club.
Bill Drake the Ainslie Captain/Coach won the Mulrooney Medal with 19 votes from Eastlake’s Alex Jesaulenko on 14.