In the Canberra League in 1997 there were eight Clubs, Ainslie, Belconnen, Campbelltown, Defence, Eastlake, Queanbeyan, Tuggeranong and Weston Creek.
In 1997 Ainslie Football Club celebrated the return to the Ainslie Oval and the 70th Anniversary of joining the Canberra League.
Former North Melbourne player Ross Smith was appointed as coach.
Ainslie finished on top of the First Grade table at the end of the home and away games losing five games during the season.
Ainslie defeated Queanbeyan in the Second Semi-Final to go straight through to the Grand Final.
- Final score: Ainslie 11.12-78 def Queanbeyan 6.5-41
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: I Muir 2, R Smith 2, P Craig 2, R Langan 1, A Dipetta, 1, G Gorman 1, M Kick 1, S Kent 1
- Best: J Dickie, S Kent, G Gorman, M Richardson, M Kynaston
Ainslie met Tuggeranong in the Grand Final after they defeated Queanbeyan in the Preliminary Final. Ainslie were able to win their sixth straight Premiership winning by 34 points. This was a new League record.
- Final score: Ainslie 14.8-92 def Tuggeranong 8.10-58
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: P Craig 4, I Muir 4, R Langan 2, A Bishop 2, T Pulford 1, M Mullins 1
- Best: R Langan, G Gorman, M Richardson, P Craig, I Muir
Grand Final Team:
- Backs: Andrew Gillow, Scott Gibson, Martin Kick
- Half backs: Ross Smith (Capt.), Mark Kynaston, Stephen Kent
- Centres: Tommy Weetra, Glenn Gorman, Andrew Bishop
- Half Forwards: John Ligerwood, John Dickie, Peter Ireland
- Forwards: Todd Pulford, Ian Muir, Paul Craig
- Rucks: Michael Richardson, Reece Langan, Marcus Sheridan
- Interchange: Aldo Dipetta, Michael Mullins, Phillip Evans
Reece Langan was awarded the Alex Jesaulenko Medal for the Best Player in the First Grade Grand Final.
Ian Muir was the Club’s leading goal kicker in First Grade with 44 goals.
During the season Andrew Bishop and Ian Muir played their 200th First Grade game for the Club. Stephen Kent played his 100th game.
Players that represented the ACT in 1997 were Reece Langan, Ross Smith, Todd Pulford, Robbie Miller and Martin Kick.