The 1987 ACTAFL Competition consisted of six teams, Ainslie, Belconnen, Eastlake, Manuka Weston, Queanbeyan and Tuggeranong.
In 1987 the Club celebrated its 60th Anniversary and were very successful winning three Premierships.
In First Grade Ainslie finished the home and away in third place with just 7 wins compared to the top side Queanbeyan with 14 wins.
Ainslie defeated Tuggeranong in the First Semi-Final. Ainslie were down 4 goals at half time but kicked 7 to 3 in the second half to win by 4 points.
- Final score: Ainslie 11.17-83 def Tuggeranong 12.7-79
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: Tutt 3, Walters 2, Smith, Miller, Richardson, Marshall, A Bishop, H Muir
- Best: Richardson, Wingate, A Bishop, A Tutt, Hannam, Porta
In the Preliminary Final Ainslie defeated Manuka-Weston to go through to its ninth Grand Final in the past ten years.
- Final score: Ainslie 10.11-71 def Manuka-Weston 6.15-51
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: Miller 4, Durnan 2, Walters 1, Smith 1, Wingate 1, Wornes 1
- Best: Wingate, Richardson, Miller, Hannam, Tutt, Killer
Ainslie played flag favourites Queanbeyan in the Grand Final at Football Park, Phillip and ended up winning by 54 points to win the Premiership. It was their first victory over Queanbeyan for the season.
- Final score: Ainslie 21.9-135 def Queanbeyan 11.15-81
- Goal kickers for Ainslie: A Tutt 4, Durnan 3, Smith 3, Miller 3, Walters 2, Wingate 2, Bishop 2, Rogers, Wornes
- Best: Killer, Durnan, A Bishop, A Tutt, Richardson, Porta
The 1987 Grand Final team was:
Russel Durnan (Capt./Coach), Brett Hannam, Andrew Bishop, Wayne Rogers, Robbie Baxter, Alan Tutt, Michael Richardson, Maurice Wingate, Brent Walters, Mark Sinclair, Stephen Smith, Mark Killer, Ross Hincksman, Gerard Zochling, Gordon Marshall, Geoff Miller, Shaun Wornes, Michael Porta, Hadyn Muir, Peter Foley
The Alex Jesaulenko Award for the Best Player in the Grand Final was shared by two Ainslie players, Russel Durnan and Mark Killer.
The Club’s leading goal kicker for 1987 was Stephen Smith with 41 goals.
Robbie Baxter, Brett Hannam and Gordon Marshall played their 100th First Grade games for Ainslie.
- Captain/Coach: Russel Durnan